* With apologies for cross-posting *

Dear colleagues,

The Foyle Special Collections Library, King's College London, is pleased to announce its new exhibition, 'The very age and body of the time': Shakespeare's world, which runs until 24 September 2016.

In this exhibition, conceived to mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death in 1616, we explore the world in which Shakespeare lived and worked. We show the types of implements he would have used to write his plays and poems and look at the workings of the London book trade in his day. We examine the political and religious background of Elizabethan and Jacobean England and the literary sources upon which Shakespeare drew. Items on display include a copy of Julius Caesar from the Second Folio edition, a copy of the first edition of Ben Jonson's works, published in the year of Shakespeare's death, and a copy of Daemonologie, James I's treatise on witchcraft. Exhibits are drawn largely from the Foyle Special Collections Library's own holdings, but also include items from Lambeth Palace Library, the Museum of Writing and private collections.

For details of access and opening hours, please see http://www.kcl.ac.uk/library/archivespec/exhibitions/maughan.aspx

Katie Sambrook

====
Katie Sambrook
Head of Special Collections
Library Services
King's College London
Foyle Special Collections Library
Chancery Lane
London WC2A 1LR

Tel. (44)+ (0)20 7848 1845
Fax  (44)+ (0)20 7848 1843
Web www.kcl.ac.uk/specialcollections<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/specialcollections>

[Description: cid:image007.jpg@01CFAA88.324F84A0]<http://www.customerserviceexcellence.uk.com/>    [Description: cid:image002.png@01D06ACD.9F37AB50] <https://twitter.com/KingsLibraries>   [Description: cid:image003.png@01D06ACD.9F37AB50] <https://www.facebook.com/KingsLibraries>