Hi Chris

We don’t tend to differentiate between native and non-native speakers but at our institution we do recognise the significant proportion of our students who will have dyslexia, as well as our even more significant numbers of students who come from all walks of life. We mark against a range of criteria, one of which is communication and presentation, but this does not tend to break down into grammar and syntax etc, but focusses rather on clarity of expression and consideration of academic convention. This is true of our more traditional forms of assessment such as reports or dissertations although I imagine the nature of our practice based disciplines may make us different to many of your respondents.

All best

Alison

From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ross, Chris
Sent: 26 May 2016 12:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Marking assignments of non-native speakers.

HI list,

Can anybody offer some advice on how they, or their establishment, mark assignments for non-native speakers? IN that, is there a tolerance allowance for grammar, syntax and choice of non-subject-specific vocabulary?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Ross
Inclusive Learning and Teaching Officer,
King’s Learning Institute,
Students and Education Directorate,

Room 5.19 Waterloo Bridge Wing,
Waterloo Road,
London,
SE1 9NH

UK

tel: +44 (0) 207 848 3081

Email: [log in to unmask]

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email and/or its attachments you must not take any action based upon them and you must not copy or show them to anyone. Please send the email back to us and immediately and permanently delete it and its attachments. Where this email is unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London or of any of its group companies the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the email is sent on behalf of London Artscom Limited the following also applies: London Artscom Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the Arts London, 272 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EY