Linda

We looked into this recently with a local supplier (former microscope technician) in Brisbane and he recommended against trying to convert the microscopes as it is expensive and requires new electrical fittings. He thought there was  modest gain and possibly even lower light quality in the compound scopes. For our low powered stereoscopes he suggested simply obtaining an attachable external light. His business has LED ring lights for about $200 and we are about to test some out.

Interested to hear if there is an easier fix for the compound microscopes. We nearly had a fire in our lab (makes me shudder to think about it) quite recently when one of our Olympus BD60's was left on and covered up. As well as electricity use etc the LED option would certainly cut down the chances of that happening.

Andy

Andrew Fairbairn, Associate Professor of Archaeology & ARC Future Fellow. School of Social Science, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. Tel: +61 07 33652780
UQ ALLY   ::  Supporting the diversity of sexuality and gender identity at UQ