A PhD position is available in the group of Andre Fielicke at the Institute for Optics and Atomic Physics / Technical University Berlin for 3 years.

We apply spectroscopic tools for the investigation of strongly bound clusters in the gas phase to elucidate their geometric (and electronic) structures. Our main target is to obtain a fundamental understanding for the often unusual chemical properties of nano-scale materials. The geometric and electronic structures of small clusters differ from those of bulk material, and they can have surprising properties, as, for example, demonstrated by the catalytic activity of gold nanoparticles. We are focusing on the investigation of the relationships between chemical properties, structure and charge state for small metal and metal oxide clusters (containing typically less than 20 atoms) with the aim of better understanding heterogeneous catalytic reactions on a molecular level. Insights into the structural properties of the clusters and cluster complexes are obtained by infrared and other spectroscopic techniques in combination with theoretical calculations.

The position (TV-L 13, 67%) is within the research project “Anion photoelectron circular dichroism of chiral metal cluster complexes”. The student will make use of state-of-the-art molecular beam and laser spectroscopic techniques. Applications are welcome from candidates with a diploma or masters degree (or equivalent) in Physics, Chemistry or a related subject and with experiences in the fields of molecular spectroscopy, UV lasers, vacuum technology, mass spectrometry.

See here for the official job posting (in German): https://tub.stellenticket.de/de/goto/offer_pdf/24768/

Your application should include a cover letter, CV, certificates, transcripts. If you need more details about the position or the application process please contact Dr. André Fielicke ([log in to unmask]). Tel: +49 30 314 23023.

Application Deadline: 20 May 2016
--
Prof. Dr. André Fielicke

Institut fuer Optik und Atomare Physik
Technische Universitaet Berlin

Sekr. EW 3-1
Hardenbergstrasse 36
D-10623 Berlin
Germany

email:     [log in to unmask]
http://fielicke.lmsu.tu-berlin.de
tel.:      +49 (0)30 314 23023
fax.:      +49 (0)30 314 23018
office:    Eugene Wigner building (EW) 327
To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html