(Please circulate to other interested parties. cheers JA)
==

STS Haldane Lecture

5 May 2016 6pm

Professor Maja Horst, University of Copenhagen

"Reframing Science Communication - Culture, Identity and Organizations"

Location: University College London, Anatomy Building - Gavin de Beer LT G04

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps/gavin-de-beer-lt

Booking

This event is free but please book a place via EventBrite

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sts-haldane-lecture-tickets-22049194735

Abstract

Reframing Science Communication – Culture, Identity and Organizations

Most societies have come to understand science as a key for their competitiveness and growth. Science Communication is therefore no longer simply a question of making science accessible to non-scientists. Understanding its role in modern knowledge societies warrants serious analytical efforts that synthesize empirical studies of science communication and understand its importance for identity-formation as well as for the legitimacy and efficiency of scientific knowledge and research organizations. To achieve this, we need not only study large-scale public engagement and dissemination activities, but also mundane interactions between various communication professionals and day-to-day organizational storytelling. In this lecture I will advocate the necessity of studying science communication while drawing upon many different theoretical and interdisciplinary inputs. The objective is to understand individual and collective sense-making about what science and scientific organizations is and ought to be

About the speaker

Professor Maja Horst, Head of Department of Media, Cognition and Communication, University of Copenhagen

What are the Haldane Lectures?

The Department of Science and Technology Studies (STS) launched the Haldane Lectures in 2014 in honour of UCL Professor JBS Haldane, a polymath not only in the life sciences but also in science communication and science policy. We aim to hold two Haldane Lectures each year, one in History and Philosophy of Science; another, in Science and Society.

These talks are free to attend and open to the academic community.