Dear Janette

This is a very timely enquiry as it happens!  RLUK and TNA have just embarked on a Research Study into Collecting Drivers for Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) with Archives and Unique and Distinctive Collections (UDCs)

Among other things it is ‘to establish and examine the collecting drivers for archival collections among Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). The core premise of this research will be to demonstrate how these collecting drivers correspond with the changing drivers in the institutional, national or global research environment, and whether any noticeable change has occurred in line with policy focus and development.’

I have been commissioned to undertake the work for this project, which is due to report in October: we are also hoping to present the findings at the next DCDC Conference in Salford in 2016 http://dcdcconference.com/

I will be contacting a number of HEIs in relation to this in due course, but your mail prompted me to alert colleagues to this more generally.

I will also contact you off-list with further details if that’s OK.

Best wishes

Caroline

Caroline Williams, BA, RMARA

Independent Archival Consultant

Visiting Professor, Liverpool John Moores University