From: Michael Gold <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: Harsh critics of embodied leadership?

     Need a body cry.
          Oh Jenny 's a' weet, &c.

Gin a body meet a body
     Comin thro' the glen;
Gin a body kiss a body —
     Need the warld ken!
          Oh Jenny 's a' weet, &c.

[Second Setting]
Gin a body meet a body, comin thro' the rye,
Gin a body kiss a body, need a body cry;
Ilka body has a body, ne'er a ane hae I;
But a' the lads they loe me, and what the waur am I.

Gin a body meet a body, comin frae the well,
Gin a body kiss a body, need a body tell;
Ilka body has a body, ne'er a ane hae I,
But a the lads they loe me, and what the waur am I.

Gin a body meet a body, comin frae the town,
Gin a body kiss a body, need a body gloom;
Ilka Jenny has her Jockey, ne'er a ane hae I,
But a' the lads they loe me, and what the waur am I.
Michael Gold, Ph.D.
Jazz Impact
612 701 6046

On Apr 15, 2016, at 12:13 PM, Neelands, Jonothan wrote:

Maybe we need to distinguish between the body that is the leader and the use of the body in leadership and strategy. Define different senses of the term embodied leadership so that we can see what people might be against?  J

Jonothan Neelands PhD, DSc, FRSA.
Associate Dean Creativity | Warwick Business School
 | University of Warwick
Research Lead | Executive Bid Committee Coventry 2021

 WBS CreateThink, Dream, Act Differently
Coventry City of Culture 2021
<1F25B2CF-6EFD-4F6D-9174-4E4C4FA750B3[45].png>

On 15 Apr 2016, at 12:20, P Ibbotson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi,
Jolly interesting question. Might be that "embodied leadership" is a bit of a tautology. You can't have leadership without there being a body to do the leading.The same might be said of friendship, so difficult to argue against.
I have had conversations with data analysts and quants who say they would be happy to have algorithms making the important decisions because they are free from emotional and cognitive bias and can access vastly more data to collect evidence for their choices. They are comfortable with robot leaders but not really "against" embodied ones. Processes like six sigma and 360 degree feedback could be viewed as attempts to make leadership more detached and mechanical to avoid the dangers of narcissism and despotism that come with a focus on the "embodied self" as the leader. You could also argue that "embodied leadership" is inherently anti-democratic and puts the acts of the leader above the decisions of the collective arrived at through debate.

Piers Ibbotson
Principal Teaching Fellow
Warwick Business School