Can anyone say or hazard a guess as to who or what the four giant male figures might be or represent in the image linked below? Does the text provide any clues? Do two look tonsured? The short 'skirts' and bare knees don't seem very monkish to me. Has the fellow in the top right had his tattooed forearms inked over?

Commentarii in Somnium Scipionis by Macrobius Ambrosius Theodosius (copied by anonymous scribe, Parchment, 50 ff.; 23.9 × 14 cm; ca. 1150, Southern France ?) The Cosmos, the earth in the centre, surrounded by the seven planets within the zodiacal signs, carried on the shoulders of four giant male figures (Barker-Benfield no. 1) Copenhagen, Det Kongelige Bibliotek, ms. NKS 218 4°, Folio 25 recto.

See: http://base.kb.dk/manus_pub/cv/manus/ManusPage.xsql?nnoc=manus_pub&p_ManusId=33&p_PageNo=25%20recto&p_Lang=alt

Richard J Legault