Thanks for this posting.
Surely it's a matter of stepping away from marketing segmentation needs of your parent organisations and to seriously consider section 3...
3. Consider whether you need to ask someone’s gender

I don't think it's normal practice to ask for sexual orientation nor for a tile Mr., Ms etc here in Australia. I may be wrong but perhaps you could simply avoid this issue by talking to your organisation's marketing people about not being involved in collecting marketing data at this crucial time of joining a service. The experience needs to positive and welcoming.

Interested in other points of view,

Fi

Fiona Emberton
Embervision