Happy New Year to all WFTHN members, and if you haven't seen it already, this WFTV newsletter contains much of interest, including the news that Contemporary Films will be distributing Chantal Akerman's last film, No Home Movie.

kind regards
Angela

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Women In Film & Television <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Monday, 4 January 2016, 16:57
Subject: Happy New Year from WFTV | January Events | New Industry Opportunities

  • “Women have a different perspective than men. Not better, not worse, just different. We have our own lens in how we see the world and that makes our perspective vital.” Variety talks to industry figures about the lack of women in film criticism.
  • Some of the most exciting, diverse and original characters to be depicted on screen in 2016 are going to be played by women, says Scarlett Russell. In this article for the Guardian, Russell celebrates these new female role models: the superheroines.
  • “The thing that disturbs me the most, being in England, is that on the screen we don’t see very many of us – there aren’t very many black girls. They don’t make the roles for us, or they don’t see us in those roles.” The British actor Cynthia Erivo has said that British film and TV producers are unwilling to make roles for black female talent in this interview with the New York Times.
  • UK distributor Contemporary Films, in association with screenings collective A Nos Amours, has acquired the rights to Belgian filmmaker Chantal Akerman’s final feature, No Home Movie. The pioneering writer-director died in Paris in October aged 65.
  • The deadline is tomorrow for Directing Actors: Getting the Right Peformance at The London Film School (20-24 Feb). In this intensive 5-day workshop, director Udayan Prasad will guide participants through the fundamental techniques for directing actors.
  • Calling all TV professionals! From 28 - 30 Jan, Ciné Lumière holds the 5th edition of Totally Serialized, the only TV series festival in London. Aiming to promote and improve collaboration between the UK and France, the festival will showcase the best of new productions from both sides of the Channel.
  • Submissions are now open for the spring 2016 eQuinoxe Europe Intl. Screenwriter Workshop. Nine screenplays will be selected by an international jury to participate in the one-week workshop, with participants meeting nine advisors for one-to-one discussions. Deadline - 25 Jan.
  • Are you a filmmaker who wants to develop a documentary or transmedia project with a social, political or human rights issue? ESoDoc is the training initiative for cross-thinkers and media professionals, who want to increase impact and outreach of their projects. Deadline- 29 Jan.
  • The Artists’ International Development Fund offers early stage development opportunities for individual freelance and self-employed artists and/or creative practitioners to spend time building links with artists, organisations and/or creative producers in another country. Deadline for applications - 13 Jan.
  • Want inspiration for a new year’s resolution? The blogger behind Cinema Fanatic has just completed her A Year With Women challenge where she only watched films directed or co-directed by women for 12 months. Have a read of what she has to say. Maybe you might like to take on the challenge for 2016?
  • It’s just under a month away until the regular deadline for the Open City Documentary Festival on 3 Feb. The festival offers filmmakers from around the globe the opportunity to have their work seen by award-winning judges, fellow filmmakers and a broad public audience. Submit here.
  • “If you are anything other than a white, male director your career opportunities are at best limited and at worst squashed.” This quote comes from ex WFTV mentee Christiana Ebohon for an article in the Independent which looks at why British BAME directors are increasingly looking at the US for work.
Go view image Submit to image
21 - 31 Jan: Sundance
11 - 21 Feb: Berlinale
16 - 27 Mar: BFI Flare
14 - 24 Apr: LOCO London Comedy Film                               Festival
18 - 24 Apr: Flatpack Film Festival

This e-mail was sent to you by Women in Film and Television (UK) Ltd | 92/93 Great Russell Street, London, WC1B 3PS | 0207 287 1400 | [log in to unmask]