this is what Maxwell says:
"A glance at the history of physics reveals that ideas have changed dramatically over time. In the 17th century there was the idea that the universe consists of corpuscles, minute billiard balls, which interact only by contact. This gave way to the idea that the universe consists of point-particles surrounded by rigid, spherically symmetrical fields of force, which in turn gave way to the idea that there is one unified self-interacting field, varying smoothly throughout space and time. Nowadays we have the idea that everything is made up of minute quantum strings embedded in ten or eleven dimensions of space-time."The Basic Argument

|   |
|   |   |   |   |   |
| The Basic ArgumentBasic Argument for an Intellectual Revolution Blunders of Enlightenment | Scientific Method | Rationality | Social Inquiry | Conclusion  |
|  |
| View on www.ucl.ac.uk | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

yeah, but they don't teach physics students how they get from point-particle theory (which is Boscovich's theory) to quantum physics with its strings et al.
It is this gap in knowledge that is the big problem! Probably missed out because of reasons like:  deemed metaphysical by the likes of Popper, and metaphysics was thought something to exclude from physics classes?
So its the gap in knowledge for those being educated that is the problem; they are only told half the facts that they need.

see:From Boscovich's theory to modern quantum theory: Prof Dragoslav Stoiljkovic

|   |
| From Boscovich's theory to modern quantum theory: Pro... |
|  |
| View on www.youtube.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |