On 13 December 2015 at 10:34, Martin Wallace <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Of course, Catherine would have been familiar with the whole psalter, which was recited in the course of each week in the Divine Office, so I am not sure that the occurrence of this gradual once a year is of any great significance.

Martin's observation (hi Martin!) has me wondering: Do we know in detail about Catherine's liturgical practice? Would she have recited the Divine Office in Latin? Or the Little Office of the BVM? When non-clergy attended some Hour(s) of the Office in church, what did they do? Did some follow the recitation of the Psalms, etc.? Or did they practise some other devotions while the official Office was sung or recited by the clergy? Do we know what Catherine's community's practice was (they were not nuns and therefore not bound to the Latin Office)? -- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014  |  Australia