Grateful to you all. I suspect Jane Wickenden and Katherine Hindley have
spotted it, Tent = T'ain't = it is not , is what I am kicking myself for not
having spotted! Though I much like Rosemary Hayes' suggestion of a teneo,
tenere derivation, and Nesli Šenocak's point about shocking or scaring being
a known method of alleviating hiccups is well made too. As Nesli says,
context is everything, and whilst there is much religious point in the play,
the sound of the hiccup comes out of the dark, so the assurance it isn't a
Ghost fits. It was partly the capitalisation that threw me.

But as ever, the group wisdom has proved invaluable. Thank you to those who
replied and to those who forbore.

Always grateful,

Steve.