medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Dear Meg,

I am not sure if anyone else answered this question already off the list. It is an important question, and I was hoping that experts on canon law among us could shed light on this. However, what happened sounds right, even though I could not point to a specific chapter in the canon law validating it. I presume that this donation of tithes is more like a dispensation given to monks from having to pay one-fourth of the tithes destined to the bishop? i.e., the bishop gives up his own one fourth to support the new monastery. With the dispensations, general principle is that if the conditions necessitating the dispensation are no longer there, then the dispensation could be removed. In fact, the same seems to be the case with privileges. Even though they were, I think, supposed to be permanent, I see, for example, all papal privileges given to a monastery or a canonry being renewed with every new pope.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope someone on the list could refer us to a specific passage in the canon law collections.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Nesli

Neslihan Şenocak
Associate Professor of History (Medieval Europe)
Columbia University
(Fellows' Fellow at the National Humanities Center in 2015-2016)