Hi all,

I'm stepping slightly out of my comfort zone at the moment and am looking at supporting students at our newly-opened University Technical College (a school for Years 10 - 13). We're well on the way to establishing some sort of electronic resource provision for them, but one particular area where they are keen to enhance learning is in improving reading abilities in students at GCSE level. They are using Accelerated Reading but are finding the level of student input required to advance through this scheme difficult, and the students themselves have no interest whatsoever in fiction.

So, is anyone aware of any suitable non-fiction that might be useful for GCSE-level students with a 'low' reading age (not sure how low is low in this instance). I think they are wanting to push electronic access, so given that I don't have a budget for UTC material and neither does the UTC, if it's free accessible that would be great, although if you are aware of any printed material that might be useful I'd like to hear about that too.

I'm a little clueless so all advice greatly appreciated (my eldest child is only eight so I can't even draw on any personal experience...!).

Hopeful thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Taylor
Electronic Resources Librarian
The Peter Marsh Library
University of Bolton
Deane Road
Bolton
BL3 5AB

01204 903099
Please note that my normal working days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays