From: A general library and information science list for news and discussion. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frances Hendrix
Sent: 18 December 2015 10:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: CILIP's "My Library By Right" campaign - sign the petition

Not quite sure what your first sentence refers to from within my post. However, It is not that I Don’t like Cilip, this is a silly thing to say really. If I had not liked ‘it’ and I can’t understand the use of the term ‘like’ for a body of people, but I have been annoyed, dismayed, fed up, aggravated and despairing over the last few years about some of the actions and non-actions of the Organisation. (I would not have paid up and been involved for so many years! Daft term to use).

I refer to some of the nonsense the Trustees have delivered in the past few years or tried to deliver), and the lack of support, especially in the last year, for the incredible plight, and might I say , destruction of public libraries. While Rome burns, the Board of Trustees (who of course are responsible for setting and maintaining vision , mission and values., etc etc but also Promote the organisation), have not taken up the cause and have been invisible in the fight for public libraries.

The Organisation is there for its members, so to promote it you are or should be , as a Board of Directors ,supporting the members. Over the past few years there has been little evidence of this. I of course refer to that dwindling group of people who are professional librarians still  working in Public Libraries. Never a week goes by when another group of public libraries (large and small), is either closing or being put into the hands of some odd organisation, or handed over to worthy and valuable, but not members of the profession or Cilip, i.e. volunteers.

So Phil  I do NOT dislike Cilip, I wouldn’t have been a member for c50 years and been heavily involved in the past as a member of the Board, chair of various committees, if I ‘didn’t like them’. A silly phrase I have to say.

But I have despaired of some of the actions and attempts over the last few years to introduce such not very sensible ideas, and I have been totally dismayed at the total lack of good , strong, professional leadership from  Cilip, its Board of Trustees and individuals to ‘Stick its neck out’ for public libraries. Just for a practical reason, the fewer libraries, the fewer library staff, the fewer professionally qualified staff, and therefore less income for Cilip? Bit daft isn’t it.

I am delighted there is a petition, and signed it the MOMENT I received it, but it may well be far too late, and it needs far far more to happen than a list of signatures. FAR MORE.

ALL the Trustees should be consulting their local MPs;., should be seeing ministers in parliament (all of them travel to London to go to Board meetings, so they could easily have lobbied on one of these trips). Such important people could have made some sort of impact. The comments you applauded from Nick Poole (and fine words they were), of Hammering  on Number 10, has this been done, or is the petition the new stand? (You yourself have said petitions have little value!

Yes Phil it is a step in the right direction, but not the ‘small step for mankind’ sort of step, but one that does need following up in a much stronger and national way, in fact more like the space age, but more quickly, as soon Cilip won’t need a Board of Directors or a CEO, as there will be so few members they could meet in a telephone kiosk.(some of which of course are now ‘free libraries’).

So I am afraid your talents of a genius have let you down, it is not a matter of dislike, it is annoyance and despair! I have moved on, as I said above I signed the MOMENT I received the petition (so doing the job), as I said in a previous post. And Phil you know, I will move to where and when I want, and your  comments that verge on a sort of bullying will not deter me!

I recall the best Advocate we had for public Libraries, who drove the work for internet access in public libraries, and produced that brilliant work on public libraries, Lord Matthew Evans, saying, the problem for public libraries is they have no shroud factor’. Well maybe we need to provide one. I will refer to this idea in another posting! Watch and wait!!

I want a strong, listening, active , positive and supportive organisation before I die!!

Frances Hendrix