This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Hello All,

I just wondered if anyone out there had any advice on offering unwanted objects for sale? To be clear, we are not talking a financially-motivated disposal here, but rather a final solution for items which are collectable but have not found other homes within the sector as part of our established curatorially-motivated rationalisation process.

We have a selection of old postcards (mostly foreign) and old bottles which have been marked for disposal for some years. We have tried and not succeeded in finding new homes for these items by free transfer to other museums or public bodies. We are now in a position where they have to go. We are conscious that the items do have a small value in financial terms and it would make most sense to offer them for sale, ring-fencing the proceeds into our purchase fund for future acquisitions.

What we don't know is how to manage this. Does anyone have experience of this sort of disposal - did you do it yourselves or through your Friends? how did you manage it from a reputational point of view?

Any advice, on or off-list, would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Alexia

Alexia Clark
Documentation & Collections Officer
Stroud District (Cowle) Museum Service
www.museuminthepark.org.uk<http://www.museuminthepark.org.uk/>
www.twitter.com/museuminthepark<http://www.twitter.com/museuminthepark>
www.facebook.com/TheMuseuminthePark<http://www.facebook.com/TheMuseuminthePark>
Tel: 01453 763394
The Museum in the Park,
Stratford Park,
Stroud, GL5 4AF
A Stroud District Council Service

Enabling people to access and share the collections and heritage of the
Stroud District for inspiration, learning and enjoyment.

 [Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.]

The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST