You have to love the IT industry – it really does conceive the best new terms, acronyms and buzzwords. “Dark data” sounds like something Ridley Scott came up with for the Prometheus sequel.

Whilst there are a variety of definitions for the term, they are all very similar. My suggested meaning is – retained data or information that is not being used or accessed for current business activities, and whose contents is not well known or structured in a readily accessible manner.

This most likely sounds like a verbose way of saying “old, retained information.” The interesting thing about dark data is that in fact at its simplest, it literally is “old, retained information.”

http://bit.ly/1PqXP2u
http://bit.ly/1PqXP2u+

--
Peterk