**With apologies for cross-posting**
Places available on short online courses
A small number of places are available for study in Jan 2016 on the short online courses offered by the Centre for Archive and Information Studies (CAIS) at the University of Dundee:
- An Introduction to Digitisation and Digital Preservation (9 weeks)
- An Introduction to the Management and Preservation of Archives (9 weeks)
- Outreach and Education: An Introduction to the Promotion of Archives (9 weeks)
The courses are at undergraduate level, are tutored by experts and delivered online via an interactive, fully-supported, virtual learning environment. The courses are ideal for anyone seeking to acquire or refresh knowledge in these areas of professional practice. Further details are listed below. Please note that the closing date for applications is the 20th November. The course begins on the 11th January.
Application forms are available online at http://www.dundee.ac.uk/cais/howtoapply/.
All short courses and Masters degrees offered by CAIS are accredited by the Archives and Records Association, UK and Ireland and by Records and Information Management Professionals, Australasia. The CAIS team was ‘highly commended’ by the Information and Records Management Society in their awards in 2007.
For more information please see below or contact us on +44 (0)1382 385543 or email [log in to unmask]
An Introduction to Digitisation and Digital Preservation
· Introduction: different types of digital records
· Digitisation: why and how (including metadata and standards but excluding storage and access)
· Digital Preservation I: the content lifecycle; fundamental problems; key concepts.
· Digital Preservation II: organisational approaches; technical strategies; preservation planning
· Business cases for digitisation and preservation projects.
An Introduction to the Management and Preservation of Archives
· An introduction to theory and practice
· Collecting, accessioning and appraisal
· Arrangement and description
· Collections management
Outreach and Education: An Introduction to the Promotion of Archives
· An introduction to dissemination
· Attracting audiences, working with others and creating strategies
· Talks, educational activities, exhibitions and publications
· Online resources
· Oral history
· Managing dissemination
Dr. Craig Gauld
Centre for Archive and Information Studies (CAIS)
School of Humanities
University of Dundee
Dundee DD1 4HN
t +44 (0)1382 385543
** All CAIS programmes are accredited by the UK Archives and Records Association and The Records and Information Management (RIM) Professionals Australasia **
To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]