Dear all,

The program for our workshop "Jesuit early modern science in a digital
perspective. The Jesuit Science Network" in Wuppertal is now available.
The workshop will take place at Wuppertal University at the end of this
month, Nov 26+27, in room K.11.07. You can find a description and the
program of the workshop below and download the poster from
http://www.izwt.uni-wuppertal.de/fileadmin/izwt/Tagungen_Workshops/WS_15-16/WupNov2015Poster.pdf.

Best regards,
Dagmar Mrozik

===

Workshop description

In recent years, an ever growing number of scholars in the humanities
have realized the benefits they can gain from using digital methods in
their work. This holds particularly true when it comes to dealing with
large amounts of similarly structured information, as is the case in the
study of early modern Jesuit science: biographical information of the
involved actors, bibliographical information of published scientific
works and unofficial manuscripts, chronologies of colleges and their
scientific chairs, and so on. In order to record, categorize, and then
map out all this data in a sensible way, it would only seem obvious to
use computers, thus allowing for truly comprehensive studies to be made.

In our workshop "Early modern Jesuit science in a digital perspective -
The Jesuit Science Network", we want to discuss such digital approaches
in practice. As a particular example, we want to present the titular
Jesuit Science Network (JSN), a biographical database on Jesuit scholars
in early modern science that is currently in its last stages of
development at Wuppertal University. After completion, it will contain
around 1000 entries and will be put online for other researchers to use
(expected launch mid 2016). Aside from discussing the JSN, the workshop
also wants to give opportunities to address other digital methods and
how the study of early modern Jesuit science can benefit from them.

Workshop program

Thursday, Nov 26
2:30pm - 2:45pm Volker Remmert (Wuppertal): Introduction
2:45pm - 3:45pm Bernard Deprez (Leuven): "Exploring jesuitica.be for
science research: Strengths and weaknesses"
4:15pm - 5:15pm Alexander Czmiel, Fabian Körner (Berlin): "The Person
Data Repository"
5:15pm - 6:15pm Dagmar Mrozik (Wuppertal): "The Jesuit Science Network"

Friday, Nov 27
9:00am - 10:00am Matteo Valleriani, Dirk Wintergrün (Berlin): "A
Subnetwork of Treatises: The Editions of Clavius’s Sphere of Sacrobosco
in the Early Modern Network of Tracts on The Sphere"
10:30am - 11:30am Luca Guzzardi (Milan): "The project of the Ruggiero
Boscovich National Edition in digital perspective"
11:30am - 12:30pm Iva Lelková (Prague): "Visualization of Athanasius
Kircher's (1602-1680) correspondence - Problems and questions"
--
Dagmar Mrozik

Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Wissenschafts- und Technikforschung (IZWT)
Bergische Universität Wuppertal
Gaußstr. 20
42119 Wuppertal

Raum N.10.01