> Rosemary Hayes wrote:
>
>     Eton College, one of the most important collegiate churches founded in
> England in Later Middle Ages (prime function to pray for Henry VI - education
> secondary) still has a provost (pronounced pro-vo) as head of its governing
> body. However, its closest analogies, Windsor and Winchester, have,
> respectively, a Dean and a warden.

Eton's sister institution, King's College Cambridge, also has a Provost. M.R.
James was, of course, successively both.

(Winchester's sister institution, New College Oxford [recte The College of St
Mary of Winchester at Oxford  - but called "New College" to distinguish it from
the other St Mary's College] also has a Warden. Other titles for college heads
are Master [Mistress], Dean, President.)

John Briggs