Dear Colleagues

We are fitting in some extra community consultation events for the Clipper project in November, this might be of interest to those in the Midlands area of the UK. The workshop at the Disruptive Media Learning Lab, Coventry University promises to provide a stimulating discussion in a cross disciplinary environment. The project has been receiving a lot of interest from the archive and digital library community, if your repository features audio-visual data this may be of interest.

The Clipper project is developing a free and open source software toolkit to support researchers in all disciplines who work with online digital audio-visual media and we extend a warm invite to attend our upcoming free community consultation workshop on Friday the 20th November at the Disruptive Media Learning Lab, Coventry University, it starts at 10:00.  At the workshop we shall be reviewing the latest prototype and discussing the implications of tools like Clipper for creative practice, research data management and new publishing models.

To book your place please visit this web link

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/clipper-project-workshop-coventry-university-tickets-19278500514

 Workshop Content and Format

 10:00 Arrival, registration and tea / coffee

 10:30 Introductions, project overview and aims

10:45 Demonstration of prototype system, initial feedback & discussion

11:15 Hands-on session, feedback (please bring laptop & use Chrome browser)

12:00 Discussion

12:30 - 1:30 lunch, discussions and networking

 Clipper Toolkit Description    (from our brochure)

Clipper enables researchers to create and share virtual-clips from online media without altering the original data files. Clipper enables you to mark the start and end of interesting events while playing audio or video data files through a standard web browser. You can add rich text annotations to each clip, and combine clips into playlists (cliplists). For the latest overview of the Clipper Toolkit and what it does please visit this page.

One of the aims of Clipper is to make online audio visual resources more accessible and to enable collaborative opportunities. The Clipper toolkit aims to make it as easy to cite, reference and quote online audio-visual media as it is currently for textual resources. The choice of HTML for the native system data file format is starting to bring big benefits and we are still exploring the implications and opportunities connected with this decision - one of the advantages being that user can 'own' their clipper documents and place them where they like for reuse.

Best Wishes

John

Clipper Project Manager
Libraries & Learning Technology