Eve et al,

Regarding your questions seeking to reconstruct past societies. If we know the culture, then we should use their culture to reconstruct their lives. But if there is no known culture, than we shouldn't provide one in place. That is making-up stories.

Interpolating the behavior and interactions of prehistoric people from our own experience and projections is incestuous and flawed. It is, in my view, more proper to extrapolate such prehistoric behavior from the physical conditions of their prehistoric existence. And apply Darwin's principle of "survival". Thus, would prehistoric people engage in vast "monument building" when their physical survival was at risk?

Kostas

From: Eve Richardson <[log in to unmask]>
To: BRITARCH <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sun, Nov 8, 2015 07:34 PM
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Archaeology in the nursery

Makes me happy that my questions are considered interesting. :-)

I've no idea what has been done. There is, of course, a lot (wishful?)
thinking about Iron-Age Britain, the role of women and who/what the
Druids and spiritual beliefs were. But what is actually 'known' I don't
know. And of course, we're talking about long periods of time over which
one might expect changes to occur.

I've based my questions on reading I've done about cultures elsewhere
because a lot of them have come up in anthropological studies - not to
mention that the very different world views of "Western" vs Indigenous
cultures is still very relevant today. The difference is a major reason
why Indigenous communities in Canada, for example, are at the forefront
of anti-pipeline struggles.

I imagine there were similar differences between the peoples occupying
Britain at the time and the colonizing Romans.

Eve
On 08-Nov-2015 7:12 PM, Michael wrote:
> Fascinating set of questions.
>
> Has anyone seriously tried to answer them even for the Iron-age where
> we have more information and if so who?
>
> Mike
>
> On 08/11/2015 19:47, Eve Richardson wrote:
>> All these questions would probably relate to:
>> What resources were valued.
>> Who extracted/worked/produced resources.
>> Who controlled land/resources.
>> How control was transferred.
>> What knowledge was valued.
>> How knowledge was transferred.
>> Who had an in with the gods/creator.
>> Were these matrilineal or patrilineal, or a combination?
>> What the kinship system was.
>> Did people "own" the land?
>> How did they perceive their relationship to the
>> earth/nature/animals/plants etc?
>>
>> More questions than I can think of because I don't know enough to ask
>> the right ones. But looking at other cultures today can help us
>> formulate some of those questions. (What questions would a member of
>> an Amazon tribe ask about another people? I've no idea, but I bet it
>> would be entirely different from the ones I'd ask.)
>>
>> Eve

---