 With apologies for cross-posting, Katy

From: Sally Archer
Sent: 20 October 2015 13:26
To: Sally Archer
Subject: National Maritime Museum seeks collaborative doctoral proposals from university partners

The National Maritime Museum seeks proposals from university partners for collaborative doctoral studentships to start in October 2016

The Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) has awarded three studentships per year for three years (2016-2019) under its Collaborative Doctoral Partnership scheme to The Thames Consortium, comprised of The National Archives, National Maritime Museum and National Portrait Gallery.

Maintaining the skills base in the arts and humanities is vital, and these studentships provide opportunities for interdisciplinary research, knowledge exchange and training. The National Maritime Museum is very pleased to be involved in the Thames Consortium, and delighted to be able to give students access to a museum, an art gallery and an archive through which to explore their themes.

CDP studentships are offered by organizations working in partnership with Higher Education institutions. Read more about the AHRC Collaborative Doctoral Partnership Consortium here: http://www.ahrc-cdp.org/

Interdisciplinary research can greatly enhance the value of a project. We particularly encourage applications which propose to work across the collections of more than one of the Thames Consortium's constituent institutions. We also welcome applications that are interdisciplinary. For example, technical history can reveal information about an object's making, materials or intentions, and add to or even help interpret documentary or object-based evidence.

Thames Consortium CDP Research Priorities for 2016-17

·         Maritime exploration

·         Photographs

·         Portraiture

·         Conservation issues and practice

·         Slavery and abolition

·         Empire

·         Archival/ information studies topics

·         Museology/visitor experience subjects

·         Costume/uniforms/dress/gender

·         High Court of Admiralty prize jurisdiction in the long eighteenth century

·         First World War

·         Social history of the Anglo-Dutch Wars in the seventeenth century

How to apply

We invite potential university partners to contact us to discuss a potential topic for collaboration (for a doctoral studentship starting in October 2016) by emailing  [log in to unmask] with a brief description of your proposal. If the proposal is supported we will ask you to complete an application form in collaboration with one of our curatorial and research staff, which will be submitted to the Thames Consortium awards panel. The deadline for applications is 27 November 2015.