Bedford BC - OFFICIAL-Unsecure

All,

Just to add to Ken and Phils comments. I am all for not hoarding paperwork, however, we were persuaded a few years ago to hang onto the Greenbacks just in case, which I am very glad we did. We have since cross-referenced a large number of the HER records with the Greenbacks and NHLE listings, and on this basis identified c.20-30 minor amendments needed and a number of cases where listed buildings have burnt down or been demolished/fallen down, and where the wrong buildings themselves have been listed rather than their neighbours.

Some of this stems historically from our LA not notifying EH/HE when the physical status of a LB has changed. We had one building that was still listed after having been demolished in the late 1980s and a medieval church that should be listed but isnt.

My advice would be not to dispose of the Greenbacks until you are doubly-sure that you have completed a cross-checking exercise and that any issues have been ironed-out with HE through the correct processes.

Kind Regards

Vanessa Clarke

Senior Archaeological Officer (Planning)

Environment & Sustainable Communities

Bedford Borough Council

Borough Hall, Cauldwell Street, Bedford, MK42 9AP

01234 718560 (47560)

Web www.bedford.gov.uk

All general planning information is available on our website: www.bedford.gov.uk/planning

However, if the information is not available online, you will need to complete a request for advice on our pre-application enquiry form and pay the appropriate fee. Full information of this service and the online enquiry form can be found via this link www.bedford.gov.uk/planningenquiries