From: Tibor Auer <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, October 6, 2015 5:38 AM
To: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [FSL] Having problems with DTIFIT with only two subjects...

Dear Rosalia,

How did you actually averaged the imagesin step e)? Are you sure there was no dimension reduction? Have you checked whether the output data.nii.gz is actually a 4D dataset with same amount of volumes as the number of entries in the bvals/bvecs.

However, there are some more conceptual issues:

1.       In step d), you first registered data_1 to data_2 and data_2 to data_1. So at the end, they are not aligned at all!

2.       Which bvals/bvecs have you used? The set from data_1 or from data_2?

And more importantly:

It is not advised to register raw DTI images, because then you disrupt the consistency between the geometry of the images and the geometry of the bvecs. One solution is to transform the bvecs, as well; but it is also suboptimal.

My recommendation is to analyse the two datasets separately without any registration, and coregister+average the metric images (e.g. FA maps) after DTIFIT.

Vale,

Auer, Tibor M.D. Ph.D.

MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit
15 Chaucer Road