From: British archaeology discussion list [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Constantinos Ragazas [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 October 2015 18:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BRITARCH] Was the Rhosyfelin Neolithic bluestone "quarry" engulfed in water?

John Wood,

Glaciers from the last glaciation still exist in places like Norway, Iceland and the Alps. When glaciers melt their meltwaters collect in many various reservoirs above or below the surface. Rivers can draw their waters from other sources besides rain. For example from lakes slowly draining or from underground caverns also initially formed by glacier meltwater and slowly depleting according to underground topography and the location of their ground springs. River Avon flowing by Stonehenge bottom is sourced in such a way, for example.

But we really don't need to know all that to know if a mill drew water directly from a river the river had to be flowing at that elevation, whatever the reason. And whether the mill latter was converted to a cottage or a pig stall really does not matter.

Kostas