On 10/12/15, PETTS D.A. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Don't forget even if a mill is higher up a slope, they are usually fed by
> leats that take water off from the stream higher up its course and bring it
> along the line of the contour. I was involved in the excavation of a Welsh
> fulling mill about 8 years ago- this stood significantly above the the
> nearby river but it was clearly possible to trace the line of the leat that
> fed it and abstracted the water from elsewhere.

I used to live in lower Ems valley, the one in Sussex, and it was
infested with watermills. The gradient was very shallow and so to
maintain the headwater for each mill there was a rather convoluted
array of leats often by-passing mills lower down the valley to give
greater headwater to others. Very confusing!