Hi Todd,

> Why not just use a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) model and let the data tell you what the shape of the hrf is instead of including temporal derivatives to pick up variance missed by the traditional  hrf shape?

I would say because 2nd level modelling is quite difficult with FIR - you still have to use priors either making up a time course using weights at the 1st level, or picking up specifics bins at the second level. Derivatives capture quite well a range of hdr and can be combined easily (using the tool mentioned earlier) to have a descent estimate of the response amplitude per condition and subject... at least that's the way I see it .. but FIR is better as exploratory tool for sure

cyril

Hi Joelle and Cyril,

Why not just use a Finite Impulse Response (FIR) model and let the data tell you what the shape of the hrf is instead of including temporal derivatives to pick up variance missed by the traditional  hrf shape?

Best,

Todd