By default, bounding boxes and voxel sizes are taken from the TPMs used by the segmentation.  These are set in these lines of spm_preproc_write8.m, whereby NaNs denote using some sort of default:

if nargin<7, bb = NaN(2,3);   end % Default to TPM bounding box
if nargin<8, vx = NaN;        end % Default to TPM voxel size

Best regards,
-John