Dear all,

The following session, I am organising at the annual AAG annual meeting in San Francisco next year, might be of interest to some of you. Please see below!

Geocentric Work of Art: Creative Minds Doing Things Beyond Academic Boundaries

Call for Artists: Association of American Geographers (AAG) Annual Meeting, 29 March - 2 April 2016, San Francisco

Session Organiser: Lakhbir K. Jassal

A growing number of geographers have advanced the field by creating what Homi K. Bhabha refers to as a thirdspace. The third space in this context refers to the creative space created by social scientists that have helped carve a place for articulating new forms of hybridity through diverse forms of art. This session aims to bring together geographers who have helped members of the public experience geography through more hybrid forms of creative learning. The goal of this panel session is to understand how we work in diverse ways to advance the 'creative arts', outside of academia, in everyday life. Moving beyond strictly academic conversations this session focuses on the role of culture and the arts as new forms of knowledge production.

I invite geographers and other social scientists, with a creative soul (artists, designers, photographers, musicians, film makers, poets etc.), to come to this session and tell us about the geographically inspired stories, poems, or songs they have written or the visuals/designs they have created that has positively impacted individuals. This session is non-traditional in the sense that there will be a chance for participants to talk about their creative work (outside of academia) in a relaxed and supportive environment. Now if Pablo Picasso's words appeal to you, 'learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist' then this session is right for you.

Submission process: if interested in participating in this session please contact me: [log in to unmask] by the 15th of October, 2015 with a few words on what you plan to talk about or show us etc. I will confirm participation in this session by the 20th of October. Please note all accepted contributors will need to register and pay the AAG conference fees by the 29th of October (see the following for more details: http://www.aag.org/annualmeeting).

Dr. Lakhbir K. Jassal

Website: http://drlakhbirjassal.com