Read Fred Motem..Read him now. The 'avant-garde', especially since Fergusson, has been transformed completely, every idiot knows that. read M. NourbeSePhilip her book Zong, maybe read some David Marriot. Definitely some Frank Wilderson. After that, stop being so sniffy about racism in the avant garde.

and Jamie - your SM reference is cheap. Very cheap indeed

http://abandonedbuildings.blogspot.com/

From: Jamie McKendrick <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, 30 August 2015, 13:19
Subject: Re: a good horsewhipping (was "delusions of whiteness", etc.)

Hi Sean,
  I'd be only too glad to change the title of the thread. But although I have read Douglass, because the only reference was to SM practices, a silly enough metaphor in the context anyway, I never made, and doubt anyone else made, the connection. Certainly it's tasteless if you make the connection.
  Jamie