Looking again at your post, Tim, in case I was myself not hearing what you were saying only confirmed my feeling that you were picking a phantom quarrel with me. From the quotation from mine you gave you had lopped off 1) the most crucial point – perhaps just because you agree or for brevity, but the effect is to decontextualize the subsequent arguments. It might have helped make clear, for example, that I was not saying that ‘disruption of grammar’ was ever ‘a requirement of being labelled avant-garde’.
   Only with your response to 4) ‘The stylistic experiments of a century ago are no longer avant-garde...’ do I have some sympathy with what looks like exasperation on your part. It’s a gratuitous jibe not relevant here. Though elsewhere it may be worth saying! – I’ve read various clueless commentators who speak about cut-and-paste and about calligrammesque compositions as though they’re guarantors of radical formal experiment. Happy to drop that one.

From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tim Allen
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2015 3:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Poetry On Trial: 2. “Poetry and Tribalism” by Jon Stone

Jamie, I am aware that the the things you say below were said in a degree of anger and you qualified some of them since, but nevertheless they call for a response.

The 'disruption of grammar' thing is a huge red herring and was never a requirement of being labelled avant garde. With regard to that and the political thing even among the Language poets, whose theory talked about that stuff, disruption of grammar was only carried out by some and when that happened it had its poetic uses and aims etc. In some of the Language poets there is no disruption of grammar whatsoever. The same applies to British poets. In practise one of the most frequent causes of disruption of grammar was down to the collaging techniques and chance procedures employed by some poets, but again, that was only a part of what was going on. It is true that many of the poets (perhaps a majority) connected with the later avant gardes on both sides of the Atlantic were left-wing and therefore saw their poetry as partaking partly on a political level, but I very much doubt if many of them saw their poetry in such crude terms, whatever methods they were using.

Yes disruption of text is easy to do in the mechanical sense. That's a given. So what? What happens next? If nothing happens then any fool knows it's a fake or a gesture.

The 'stylistic experiments' thing is, for me, meaningless. An empty argument that has nothing to do with what goes on. Can't be bothered explaining further, sorry.

The status of the avant-garde (or whatever term you want to use) in the Universities is a thorny topic, I admit, and it's one that I've given my pennyworth of questions to before. It gets even more thorny if you try to compare it with the mainstream (or whatever term you want to use) status there - I haven't got the data for such a comparison, let alone make any judgment on their relative intellectual prestige. What I do know is that the poetry I have always liked has found strong support from a handful of university departments, without which the picture would be different.

Enough.

Tim A,
.