Dear Naren, I wonder whether you would be willing to post the text below on the ListServe, to honour my good friend Professor Norman Guthkelch, a neurosurgeon who is about to celebrate his 100th birthday:
Dr Norman Guthkelch celebrates his 100th birthday on 2nd September. He was the first paediatric neurosurgeon in UK, appointed in 1957, and played an important part in the field for many years, becoming a founder member and then President of the international Society for Research into Hydrocephalus and Spina Bifida. Norman was born in 1915 and graduated in medicine from the University of Oxford in 1939, going on to serve as Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps. He held his chair at the University of Salford, UK and also held Visiting Professorships at universities in Kentucky, Georgia, Groningen, New York, Iran, Pittsburgh and Harvard before being appointed Professor of Neurosurgery in Pittsburgh. Due to the then retirement regulations in UK, he would have been obliged to retire at the age of 65 in 1980 but he was not ready for this and moved to USA to continue working. He still publishes and gives interviews, and is an active Honorary Member of the Society that he helped to found in 1957, though he says he “retired” in 1996 at the age of 81.  He was elected Medical Scientist of the Year this year, and now lives in Illinois. He recently wrote to me: I hope like me you can echo my mentor Geoffrey Jefferson’s last words: “it has all been the greatest fun” Happy Birthday Norman!
Roger Bayston
It would be a source of great pleasure to him (I will forward a copy) and some list members might even remember him
Best wishes as alwaysRoger
(Professor Roger Bayton, Professor of Surgical Infections, University of Nottingham)