Dear Friends,

If you permit the shameless self promotion just this once, may I seize this opportunity to announce the publication of my book International Law and Boundary Disputes in Africa. The book is available at http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415838924/.

I intend to have a public presentation in Nigeria sometime by Autumn 2015 and there is possible presentation at Canterbury, UK sometime in the next academic session. In the mean time I will appreciate your efforts in introducing the book to your various libraries.

I realise that the topic of the book suggests that its focus is on the African continent however, in truth its general conclusions and usefulness should apply everywhere. Legal and political understanding of boundaries can save lives as well as positively impact on every aspect of society. A lack of understanding or faithfulness to its longstanding principles can spell doom for millions of peoples. My treatment of the many issues has been deliberately provocative  and multidisciplinary. I have not been shy of taking positions on controversial issues. This approach apart from being just more fun was adopted to stimulate debate and of course, I realise that the many experts and friends of this list will forensically interrogate my positions and discover the many holes and even mistakes I know must exist in a work of this nature. I already presume that criticism over time will of course be for the general good.

The Late Professor, Anthony Oye, CHUKWURAH told me something quite unforgettable at a meeting during our time together working with the Cameroon-Nigeria Boundary Commission. He said Ben Wortley, the famous Professor of Jurisprudence at the University of Manchester who supervised his Phd later published as a book in 1967 - The settlement of boundary disputes in international law looked him in the eye and said;

 "Since you bother to see and concern yourself with the link between territory and justice -the land will feed you for the rest of your life".

 True to this prediction/prayer, professor Chukwurah who died in 2013 aged 79 remained till the very end, one of the figures of integrity and virtue as well as intellectual excellence in the field of law in Nigeria. He never lacked.

International boundary law is therefore, compatible with scholarly and financial integrity. On this note may I ask you again to kindly recommend this book to your nearest library(ies). I will also be able to confirm some discounts for members on this list in a number of days.

Best Regards

Gbenga

JUST PUBLISHED July 2015: International Law and Boundary Disputes in Africa by Gbenga Oduntan Routledge -2014 -256 Series: Routledge Research in International Law http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415838924

COMING SOON: Bakassi Resolved: The Final Delimitation and Demarcation of the Boundary Between Cameroon and Nigeria
Nigerian Institute of International Affairs Lagos (2016)

Dr. Gbenga Oduntan
Senior Lecturer -International Commercial Law
Kent Law School,
Eliot College,
University of Kent,
Canterbury,
Kent CT2 7NS, UK.
Switchboard 0044 (0)1227 764000 (ext 4817)
Direct Line 0044 (0)1227 824817
Fax: 0044 (0) 1227 827831

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/people/academic/Oduntan,_Gbenga.html