I see a t test as a test of whether you have enough subjects to show a difference ("because the probability of an effect being zero is vanishingly small, given enough scans or subjects one can always demonstrate a significant effect at every voxel" KJF).  With only 16 mice, you won't have a particularly powerful VBM analysis.

Best regards,
-John