Yes, I think a T-contast would highlight voxels with a common task-related
response. At the second level, a T-test would constrast whether (common)
mean activation is significantly greater than zero. That is, you are
testing for task-related similarities in your population. On the other
side, a F-test at the second level (as you defined) would test if exist
task-related differences in your constrast. As you pointed, a F-contrast
give common 'differences' in both directions (positive and negative, or
task > control/baseline and control > task).

But you can't extent these approximations to F and T tests, because they
are different mathematical/statistical tools. If you are new in the matter,
just see presentations with experimental fMRI examples to familiarize with
it.

Hope it helps ;D,
Martin