Hi Donald,

Thanks for your help. Could you explain a little more? I have some questions below:

It's important to model ALL trials in someway or another. Thus, I would recommend that you have 10 conditions, one for each trial. Then at the contrast level, you can compare the 1st and 10th one. With only 1 repetition of each trial, the estimates might not be the best.
At the contrast level - how would I set up the contrast between the 1st and 10th trial if my suspicion is that there is more activation in trial 1 than trial 10 for example.. could I put '1' for trial 1 and '-1' for trial 10 and 0's for everything else?
Importantly, where would I input my behavioural scores in this scenario? It's important to me to be able to relate activation to behavioural performance scores across trials.

The other option would be to use a parametric modulator for trial number. The limitation of this approach is that it assumes a linear increase over all 10 trials. Noise in the estimation of each trial isn't as much of an issue since you are constraining the model to have an increase from trial to trial.
Previously, I inputted my behavioural scores as values of Parametric Modulator (my behavioural scores didn't increase linearly). The idea was that the activation across trials changes with behavioural changes across trials. But, didn't show me any effect.

I think the most interesting is to use the behavioural scores in my model. I am just not sure how, since my previous analysis did not show me an effect. That is why I am thinking to narrow down to comparison to trial 1 and trial 10 (because there should be a big change there even if there isn't from trial to trial).

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Joelle

It's important to model ALL trials in someway or another. Thus, I would recommend that you have 10 conditions, one for each trial. Then at the contrast level, you can compare the 1st and 10th one. With only 1 repetition of each trial, the estimates might not be the best.

The other option would be to use a parametric modulator for trial number. The limitation of this approach is that it assumes a linear increase over all 10 trials. Noise in the estimation of each trial isn't as much of an issue since you are constraining the model to have an increase from trial to trial.

Since you've already done the second way, you can try the first way. The lack of repetition of each trial may make it hard to find significance of a difference over trials, if there is an increase.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren