See below.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Joelle Zimmermann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Donald, Helmut,

Thanks Donald for your response. I have some questions below:

With 2 groups, I'd use 2 two-sample t-tests.
So a two-sample t-test for the task effect (2 samples = young and old), and later, in a separate analysis, another two-sample t-test for the behavioural effect (2 samples = young and old), right?

This is correct.

For this analysis, you can only enter 1 contrast per subject per two-sample t-test.
For the second-level, I thought that when setting up the contrast in the contrast manager, you enter 1 contrast for the whole group analysis, not per subject? Or are you talking about the 'scans' that you input under 'Design' (ie the con*.nii images that are per subject, and come from the first-level analysis?)

I was talking about the 'scans'.

For contrast creation. You want to use the same approach as any other model. Start with the null hypothesis. Make the null hypothesis equal to 0. Apply the coefficients to the model columns. Tasks not listed get a coefficient of 0. This becomes the contrast.

I'm quite new to this, first time doing an analysis, so bear with me :-)
So I suppose my 'columns' here are the groups?

Yes. I was just reiterating that the approach to generating contrasts is the same for all GLMs and that the same approach can be used at both the first and second-levels.

Contrast becomes
[1 -1]
So, by setting up a 2-sample t-test, inputting the subject-wise con*.nii images from the first-level analysis (only .con*.nii images for the task effect), and setting up the contrast [1 -1], I am testing how the 2 groups differ with respect to task effect.

Yes.

Then, I would repeat same process, save for the con*.nii's this time would be the con*.nii's from the first level analysis of the behavioural effect.

Yes.

Thanks for your help!
Joelle

I would do the group (2nd level) analysis separately for the task effect and behavioral effect. With 2 groups, I'd use 2 two-sample t-tests. For this analysis, you can only enter 1 contrast per subject per two-sample t-test.

For contrast creation. You want to use the same approach as any other model. Start with the null hypothesis. Make the null hypothesis equal to 0. Apply the coefficients to the model columns. Tasks not listed get a coefficient of 0. This becomes the contrast.

Ho: G1=G2
becomes
Ho:G1-G2=0
Contrast becomes