From: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Enax
Sent: 10 June 2015 14:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SPM] DCM - define the GLM

Dear SPM experts,

I am currently struggling with the very first step in DCM - the GLM specification for my DCM analysis. As I read in several tutorials and also in the SPM manual, the GLM needs to be set up a little bit differently, compared to standard analyses.

I have three conditions: subjects see a low-level baseline (fixation cross), a picture, or a picture with an additional feature. I am interested in how the third condition (i.e., picture with an additional feature) influences the connectivity between several regions.

If I understand correctly, one has to have a factor that varies the driving input (i.e., this would be picture vs. fixation ?) and one factor that varies the modulating input (i.e., this would be picture with feature vs. picture?).

Now I am not sure how to set this up in the GLM, which I need for further analyses. Is the driving input the fixation, or a combination between fixation and picture, or even between all of them? Is the modulating input only the picture with the feature, or both, the picture with the feature and the normal picture? If I need both pictures as modulators, would I have to test all combinations (i.e., test if picture modulates connectivity beween x and y, AND test if both modulate connectivity between x and y AND test if picture with feature modulates connectivity between x and y ? Or would I always specify that both (together) should modulate the connectivity beween region x and y?

Sorry if I am unclear, feel free to ask questions.

Thanks a lot

Best

Laura