Thomas,

> I tried to figure out the PyMOL vs. Coot normalization discrepancy a while
> ago. As far as I remember, PyMOL normalizes on the raw data array, while
> Coot normalizes across the unit cell. So if the data doesn't exactly cover
> the cell, the results might be different.

I posted the same question to the Coot mailing list (the thread can be
found here: https://goo.gl/YjVtTu) , and got the following reply from Paul
Emsley; I highlight the questions that I think you could best answer, with
'***':

"[ ...]
I suspect that the issue is related to different answers to "the rmsd of
what?"

In Coot, we use all the grid points in the asymmetric unit - other programs
make a selection of grid points around the protein (and therefore have less
solvent).

More solvent means lower rmsd. If one then contours in n-rmsd levels, then
absolute level used in Coot will be lower - and thus seem to be noisier
(perhaps).  I suppose that if you want comparable levels from the same
map/mtz file then you should use absolute levels, not rmsd. ***What does
PyMOL's "1.0" mean in electrons/A^3?***

Regards,

Paul."

Regards,