By oversimplifying the situation here the PDB does not answer my
related point about competing crystallographers:
My scenario:

Group A deposits structure with new drug - gets their three-letter
code for example ZA3
 they then get to check the coordinates and chemical definition of this ligand.

But suppose a little after that a competing group B deposits their
structure with the same drug which they think is novel - but no...
they get assigned the now described ZA3 which has been checked by the
other group.

 Then it is a race to see who gets to publish and release first. And
if it is the second group B who wins then they are publishing the work
of their A competitors - who have done the depositing and checking of
the ligand  description.

 Sounds unlikely? Well, it actually happened in 2011 for my exact
example ZA3 - present in 2Y2I and in 2Y59 from competing groups.

 From the dates in the mmcif it was 2Y2I depositors who set up and had
a chance to review the description of ZA3 ligand. Only to see it
released a week before their crystal structure, when their ZA3
appeared to accompany competing 2Y59! It is amazing that the PDB did
not spot this and arrange a suitable workaround.

Just to check:
mmcif for ZA3 shows it was created for 2Y2I:
_chem_comp.pdbx_model_coordinates_db_code        2Y2I
But it was modified for release:
_chem_comp.pdbx_modified_date                    2011-07-22
corresponding to the early 2011-07-27 release date of the competing
structure: 2Y59 even though this PDB was  _deposited_ second.

The ZA3 ligand definition released with 2Y59 actually embodies the
atomic coordinates from the 2Y2I structure:

<mmcif>
ZA3 O6   O6   O 0  1 N N N 8.279  7.165  40.963 0.311  -1.061 -0.920
O6   ZA3 1
ZA3 C5   C5   C 0  1 N N N 9.132  8.047  40.908 0.147  -0.205 -0.073
C5   ZA3 2  ...
<PDB 2Y2I>
HETATM 3598  O6  ZA3 A1000       8.279   7.165  40.963  1.00 41.25           O
HETATM 3599  C5  ZA3 A1000       9.132   8.047  40.908  1.00 63.20
      C ...

Surely a better approach would be to allow both groups a chance to
work through and sign off on independent ligand descriptions?

Then whoever releases first would release both a novel structure and
the ligand definition _they_ deposited and checked. Their priority can
then be asserted and the other group contacted to ask if they agree to
accept this definition. This also has the advantage of better
confidentiality pre-publication.

Another problem from any cross-linking of definitions is that say
group A are motivated by reviewers' reports to change the definition
of ZA3 pre-release. Well now the change impinges on the chemical
meaning of other group B's deposited structure. For example ZA3 mmcif
has a statement:

ZA3 "Modify aromatic_flag" 2011-06-04 RCSB

so this change was pre-release - but we cannot be sure what motivated
this - whether it was signed off by the 2Y2I authors or the 2Y59
authors (or both?)....

With the accelerating pace of drug discovery for sure this sort of
uncertainty is going to happen again.Unless the PDB have changed their
practice for ligand deposition?

All the best
 Martyn

Cambridge.