Hi Steve

Methadone is prescribed on a chronic bases hence both methadone and EDDP are at steady state. Therefore, both should be positive in urine.
I have seen often seen Methadone Pos and EDDP Neg, it's clearly a case of in-vitro addition of methadone.

The following scenarios are possible:

	Urine Negative for methadone but Positive for EDDP:
-	Check urine pH: most likely over 7.5 (methadone is reabsorbed at high urine pH). Investigate reason for elevated pH.

	Urine Positive for methadone but Negative for EDDP
-	Consider sample tampering: Methadone added post-void to the urine sample.

The following are potential reasons for change in urinary EDDP concentration:
-	Change in methadone dose;
-	Non-adherence to methadone dose;
-	In vivo dilution;
-	Change in co-medication that alters the half-life of methadone due to drug-drug interactions. [Kapur et. al. Methadone: A Review of drug-drug and pathophysiological interactions, Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci, 2011(Aug), 48(4): 171-195.].
For graph of EDDP elimination see  Kapur et al. Pharmacogenetics of chronic Pain Management,  Clinical Biochemistry,  (2014) 47:1169-87.

bhushan

Dr. Bhushan M. Kapur, D.Phil, C.Chem, FRSC, FACB, FCACB
Associate Professor, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

"But today he saw one of the river's secret, one that gripped his soul.
He saw that the river continually flowed and flowed yet it was always there;
it was always the same and yet every moment it was new"
                                                                                    - Hermann Hesse in Siddhartha