Thongs?  Burning Coals? Interesting ideas. I'm not entirely sure how such a guess would fit the context of Second Coming and the last judgment to follow. From Revelation, one senses the time for the removal of guilt and forgiveness of sins is long past.

I'm not an expert on Angelology, but the two angels in question are depicted with halos. This gives them the rank of sainthood. The only two angels recognized in medieval times as saints of which I am aware are Gabriel and Michael, who were then generally classed as archangels, not seraphim. So I don't think Isaiah hits the mark here.

There is a strong musical theme in the surrounding sculptural context - the 24 Elders of Revelation. They are all depicted with their Crowns and Thrones and musical instruments. At one point I thought maybe this angel could be holding some sort of drumstick, a large one as for a base drum, to keep the beat, as it were. Alas, while  there is plenty of thunder, lightening, rumblings and earthquakes in Revelation, as far as I know, there are no drums. So what can this object possibly be?

 Rick