Beside the canals boaters leave little piles of ash from their wood/coal fires.  This little pile was from a fire that uses mainly coal and I sampled it.  Every one of the 16 EPA priority PAHs was below the limit of detection (<0.08mg/kg).  I have a feeling this may vary according to the type of coal used though.  I have another coal ash sample currently being analysed in ESG’s lab – if it shows something different I will let you know!

[cid:image002.jpg@01D07C16.66B88D80]

Karen Jackson

Senior Environmental Scientist

North West, Manchester and Pennine & North Wales and Borders Waterways

M. 07917 185840

Canal & River Trust, Red Bull Depot, Congleton Road South, Church Lawton, Stoke, ST7 3AP

Please visit our website to find out more about the Canal & River Trust and download our ‘Shaping our Future document' on the About Us page / Ewch i http://www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/cymraeg i ddysgu mwy am Glandŵr Cymru ac i lawrlwytho ein dogfen ‘Llunio ein Dyfodol' ar y dudalen Amdanom ni.