I very rarely get time to blog but I do feel it is worthwhile when I do manage it!  I do it in work time, but I always feel a little bit guilty about it.  Is that just me?
I would delegate It to a volunteer, but then I would worry about getting the tone right.  I do most of the Twitter and Facebook with a couple of trusted volunteers helping.  Their writing occasionally makes me cringe slightly but I just have to take that as the trade off for not having to do it all myself.

Conservation is my responsibility too.  I used to find it immensely stressful trying to supervise NADFAS volunteers as I just didn’t feel qualified to oversee what they were doing.

I try and get donations specifically for conservation which I use to buy acid free cardboard for phase boxes.  I have a team of volunteers who make them to fit each book.  We are also making photon concertinas for the negatives.  In addition, I’m lucky to have a bookbinder in the family who does some rebinding/repairs too.

Deciding whether something qualifies for a box is fairly easy, deciding what merits further work is more difficult.  Largely down to usage though – high use items have priority.

We don’t sadly have temperature controlled stacks either.

Jennie Hillyard

Librarian

North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers

Neville Hall

Westgate Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 1SE

+44 (0)191 2332459
www.mininginstitute.org.uk <http://www.mininginstitute.org.uk/>

The Mining Institute is a registered charity and receives no funding from government sources, it is entirely supported by its members.  Any donations towards the expense of maintaining the buildings and collections are gratefully received by cheque to the address above.  We are registered for Gift Aid which means any qualifying donation is worth 25% more to us.

Would you like to receive our newsletter?  Simply reply with “SUBSCRIBE” and we will send you our quarterly update.   Alternatively, if you would prefer not to receive emails from the Mining Institute please reply with “UNSUBSCRIBE”.