That sounds like something I’d be interested in too for one or 2 books we have in the Archives and Special Collections

Katrina

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Foster, Clare
Sent: 15 April 2015 10:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIG-E-FORUM] Query

Good morning Karen, Katie and Iris,

I’m an Assistant Librarian in Special Collections and Archives at the Sydney Jones Library, University of Liverpool.  I was involved in rare book cataloguing about 12 years ago when I worked at the Taylor Institution Library at the University of Oxford, and then I started working in Special Collections recently, and my knowledge has become a little rusty.  I attended an excellent DCRM(B) course given my both Iris, and Hugh Cahill from Lambeth Palace Library in Newcastle last year, which has been very helpful, I mainly work with large collections which have been donated to Special Collections, usually from people associated with the University or Liverpool.

I’ve got an example which I’d like to get some advice on, it is a copy of:-

The Book of common prayer, and administration of the sacraments, and other rites and ceremonies of the Church: Together with the Psalter or psalms of David.

London : Printed by Mark Baskett, Printer to the King’s most Excellent Majesty; and by the Assigns of Robert Baskett, MDCCLXI.

It came into Special Collections last year as part of the Gair Family Papers (a family related to the Rathbone’s of Liverpool) which are now kept in the Archives at the University.  There is one inscription:-

“Elizabeth Greene Wainwright, from her Aunt, Hannah Greene, Boston, August 1821.

It is in brown calf with marbled endpapers.

Would you have any advice on listing and finding variant copies, this is something that I don’t really have much experience with.

Many thanks,

Clare

Clare Foster| Assistant Librarian - Special Collections| University of Liverpool Library| PO Box 123 | Liverpool L69 3DA | [log in to unmask] | T 0151 794 2696

Follow us: @LivUniLibrary Like us: LivUniLibrary Visit us: http://www.liv.ac.uk/library/sca Special

Collections & Archives blog: http://manuscriptsandmore.liv.ac.uk