Hello,

Just realised in my previous e-mail that I’d described the field for Provenance as 562, I obviously meant 561!

Best wishes,

Clare

From: Foster, Clare
Sent: 15 April 2015 14:17
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Provenance

Hello Everyone,

I had a few problems getting to grips with provenance for quite some time, the problems I encountered were mainly due to our Library management system – Sierra not having searchable provenance and binding fields, however, with a great deal of help from both my line manager and the Library Systems Manager, we were able to get searchable 562 provenance and 563 binding fields.

I have found David Pearson’s book – ‘Provenance Research in book history : A handbook’ invaluable.

I initially found it very hard to describe provenance, and I think I was way to wordy, after looking at examples from other Libraries with major rare book collections, I learnt that it is important to be brief and succinct.  Another important rule is to only describe what you see, don’t make any second guesses.

Best wishes,

Clare

Clare Foster| Assistant Librarian - Special Collections| University of Liverpool Library| PO Box 123 | Liverpool L69 3DA | [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | T 0151 794 2696

Follow us: @LivUniLibrary Like us: LivUniLibrary<https://www.facebook.com/livunilibrary> Visit us: http://www.liv.ac.uk/library/sca Special
Collections & Archives blog: http://manuscriptsandmore.liv.ac.uk<http://manuscriptsandmore.liv.ac.uk/>

[cid:image001.jpg@01D07788.B7163D50]