Hi Lucy,

I too really enjoy doing the research and writing blog posts, but as ever it is a time issue.  Seeing as I generally only spend 1 day a fortnight with the rare books I can’t do it then – but I have to ensure I take any photos I need when with the item.  Writing it up when the item is not in front of me, isn’t quite the same – but as long as I have the catalogue record and pics it is usually ok.

I do enjoy reading blog posts from other institutions about their treasures though!

Karen

From: Lucy Evans [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 April 2015 15:22
To: Karen Pierce; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [CIG-E-FORUM] Cataloguing rare books

Dear Karen,

I am pleased you have raised the question about blogging! I would love to do more research in order to write more blog posts but I have to squeeze it in wherever possible and it always seems to be the last thing on my to do list. I am always very jealous of the output of some of my colleagues around the UK. I do run the Twitter feed for the department but also find this quite tricky to keep up with.

Here at the Bodleian we are lucky as we have funding to box every new book which comes into the library, and we now have shiny new temperature controlled stacks in the Weston. As far as conservation goes we don’t get much unless it has been funded directly. There is a “duty conservator” (as we call it here) budget for things such as tipping in leaves which are torn out or putting loose items in melenex but that is it really!

Best, Lucy