From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Baalham
Sent: 16 April 2015 14:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Submission of Record 3

Hello Iris,
I am really interested to see that in your 3rd record's signature statement you have called the first leaf [A]² and assumed that the final leaf is probably [A]1. I have always struggled to understand how cataloguers make these judgements. What is the best way to ascertain that leaves are conjugate, rather than separate? How do you know whether [A]1 or [A]2 are retained? Is it mostly about presumption, or are there obvious signs? How would you describe the register if it had no printed signatures?
Thanks
Matthew

Iris O'Brien
Early Printed Collections Cataloguing and Processing Manager
The British Library
St Pancras
96 Euston Road
London
NW1 2DB
Tel.: +44 (0)20 7412 7731
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk<http://www.bl.uk/>
The British Library’s latest Annual Report and Accounts : www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html<http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/annrep/index.html>
Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book. www.bl.uk/adoptabook<http://www.bl.uk/adoptabook>
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.
Think before you print